रविवार, मार्च 29, 2009

Part 1: We need to keep the soul of the village alive, but HOW?

VISA!- No-way
‘You will not get the VISA with these papers Sir', said the lady sitting at the counter of the VFS, Chennai. I had gone there just after visiting British Deputy High Commission at Chennai, who directed me by saying '3kmts from here'. I asked 'where is the map?' There was none. I took an auto, asked him to wait near the VFS. My previous hour was already wasted in shunting between the High Comission and the VFS as well as due to the wait at the VFS. The counter lady asked me to bring all sorts of the papers including 'land papers' and what not. Being at IIT, we are so ‘normal’ that I had not even bothered to take the so called originals (such as bank passbook, even though I had a statement from the bank). Anyway, I realized that to get a UK visa nowadays is going to be tough, why? I had to come all the way to UK (Scotland) to know the answer.

Cheers
'Cheers', said the person while getting down from the bus near the Heriot-Watt University, Edinburgh, reciprocated by the driver. I said thanks and driver reciprocated as well. Every one who gets down expresses his/her appreciation for the service they received from the driver. The driver stops the bus exactly at the designated place. Even in the university after a mutual discussion is finished, people exchange cheers! This is something like Achha in India. Hai-ya is a greeting. Real Scottish accent is lovely, although a bit difficult to follow when you are a new arrival.

Shunting from a Scottish Village
I spent about 3 weeks with my friend. This was initial stay passed talking about Indians, Indian economy, watching NDTV as well as other Channels of my interest in the evenings over a glass of Shiraj and sometimes Italian dishes. I also watched TV channels our neighbouring countries with great interest (given the opportunity, which I never come across in India). Later I moved to a village (name not given for the sake of anonymity). I see sheep-farms, horses on the farms, children running inside the village on Friday evening and weekends. This village is towards the west of Edinburgh, almost on way to Glasgow. The double-deck buses pass through the village, a train station also exists. If you get in to the train, you can get the ticket in the train from the TC. Return tickets are cheaper for the same day as compared to one sided ones.

There is a post office and a small store in the village. In Scotland there is no restriction in walking through the fields. We walked around and saw that how in rolling fields the tractor can easily roll unlike Kumaun hills. Thefts are never heard of in the village. Eventhough, there are thefts in some areas in the city, especially of the car tape or satellite map reader.

There is another village nearby and has some good schools. Therefore in this village there are many children of schooling age. In the morning, if I am late, or my bus is late, the bus stop is crowded with about 50 kids, waiting for their bus.
.......................to continue

कोई टिप्पणी नहीं: